The Flemish Peace Institute offers internships to mature students and recent graduates in the field of international relations, history, political sciences, conflict studies and related fields.
Students with an interest in, and knowledge of, polarization, violent extremism, or arms trade and arms use qualify for a research-based internship. We also offer internships for communication majors with a keen interest in the topics mentioned above.
Please indicate whether you wish to be considered for
- A research internship in the domain of violence and conflict in society
- A research internship in the domain of arms trade and use
- An internship focused on communication and outreach in the abovementioned domains
Both types of internships require a three-month full-time commitment.
(!) For the October-December 2023-period, there is only one position available for non-Dutch speaking interns. We are looking for a digitally savvy research or communications intern with an interest in firearms violence. Candidates should be eager to help create online content for our cutting-edge digital, European Insight-Project.
What do we offer?
- You gain experience with policy-oriented research and work in the unique research context of a para-parliamentary organization;
- You work with a senior supervisor who has an acknowledged expertise in your field and who can help you take your work to a higher level;
- You gain expertise in the domain of ‘Arms trade and use’ or ‘Dealing with conflict and violence in society’ by working with some of the experts in their respective fields;
- You gain a profound insight in the communication challenges, opportunities and strategies around these issues;
- You get access to office space, databases and library collections of the Institute;
- You work in a small multi-disciplinary team of researchers;
- You might qualify for a grant to help you cover your living expenses for the duration of the internship.
There are three internship periods:
- January-March: application deadline: November 15 of the previous year
- April-June: application deadline: February 15
- October-December: application deadline: July 1 (Please refrain from applying for this period if you are not interested in content and website management for the Project Insight-website)
How to apply?
Candidates are requested to send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a motivation letter indicating which exact program they wish to be considered for
- a CV
Candidates will be informed within ten business days after the deadline.